Saturday 31 May 2014

Defeated Perrogringos

Oh my lanta.

Today started brilliantly, we hopped along the path towards our destination, our Commander was courteously accommodating of our (the packs) pace, and we as a group attempted to make good time.  At a fork in the road we had decided last night to spring for adventure and travel the off the charts route to a wonderful town all for the sake of scenery.  That's where things began to unravel.  The path was well worth it mind you.  A nice slow incline and breathtaking views.  Some of the soldiers wobbled along nicely regardless of their cringeworthy ailments.  We sang and laughed and only breaked periodically.

After a double lunch (all Des and I do is eat haha) we sprang up and began our trek to a crossing in hopes of doubling back to a city behind us.  Now.  This city will forever be known as the traveling city.  I swear it changed locations.  We doubled alright, we doubled back at least 4km.  It was defeating.  My spirit was curshed as we trudged along a path beaten so well by pilgrims walking opposite.  As the path extended and I thought about each step we were taking only to walk them again the next day I began to lose my stability.

To add insult to injury we finally arrived only to hear the town was full.  That's right not a single bed for us tired perrigringos.  I assure you, you could hear our hearts break.  We contemplated camping though there weren't enough tents and it's against regulations, we all kind of slumped and bit the bullet; we had to call a taxi.  There's a storm on it's way, wind that could suffocate you with dust and no where to go.  We had to cheat.

I cried.  We got out of the taxi in a town 10km away and I asked Des for a hug.  My camino was broken, incomplete and cheated.  My family all stood patiently as Des reassure me and then something remarkable happened.  I got three hugs and a group hug (at this point it's important to note I haven't showered nor washed my clothes in a couple days, and we were all dirty and sweaty but these virtual strangers embraced me like we have known each other our entire lives) these people are my life support.  It's hard for me to move passed missing kilometers as I lay in my bunk.  I guess I have to return now, but that's another story.

We somberly find our way well The Way and stumble into a town square where upon random conversation discover the municipal albergue is full.  Shit.  That's not promising at all.  We continue wondering empty hearted to another.  It's  full.  Now I tell you, we must have looked some kind of awful because this saintly man patiently walked us through the following moments, he gave us beds that had been reserved and brought some light to our terror.  We must have been a lot to see because he even specified a location for dinner that was sure to brighten our souls.

Now some are returning from mass, our bellies are full and we are all feeling back to normal.  It has been a physically challenging experience thus far and truth be told we all agree, this mental exhaust was a welcome day along the way.  We realized how lucky we've been and how lucky we are.  It's brought a beautiful appreciation to our camino family.



It just occured to me.  This day could have been a result of the morning brandy we sipped after breakfast.

Spain.  You may be the death of me.

1 comment:

  1. Awe! :'( Struggles come with reward. Happy for the support you have from your camino family! Keep pushing girls! Doing great! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete